Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

"Guys, where are we?"

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like most students coming abroad expect to travel to Paris, Amsterdam, Germany, etc but I wanted to do one trip that was out of the ordinary so to speak. So, on a whim, me and 3 other girls decided to head to Croatia. And as I write this post, after the weekend is said and done, I still could not tell you where on earth we were this weekend.

Just when we thought we could not out-do our crazy travel plans, why not take a quick 12 hour bus to get to Split, Croatia. It actually wasn't as bad as you're thinking, but then again, this is coming from the girl who has slept through multiple fire alarms...So as I was on my 100th dream, we drove through the night and arrived in Croatia at about 9 am. Delirious, we hopped off the bus and were greeted by palm trees and this harbor filled with boats on the most beautiful blue water. We decided to spend the day at the beach when our post travel exhaustion hit us head on.  We passed out for 2 hours and woke up to some alarming sun burns, but it was worth it. Known for its sea food, we went to a local place for lunch and got some amazing fish. Oh, need I mention it was the most inexpensive weekend abroad BY FAR. So note to future abroad students, go here! The kuyna (the croatian money) is a nice change from the euro; it's about 8 euros for every one kuyna. Needless to say, we wined and dined! andddd to top our day off, we did a pub crawl at night which was surprisingly so much fun.


The next day the girls and I paid for an island hopping tour for the day. It was one of our better decisions because I'm not really sure how we would've explored this beautiful place which we knew nothing about, couldn't communicate with one single person and STILL could not figure out where the hell we were. The boat took us to 3 different places, and we got off the boat at each stop for about an hour. It was very relaxing and simply stunning. It was a nice change of pace; there was nothing really going on, it was mostly just the beach, the water and the views.....enough to keep us happy!


On our 12 hour adventure home, we stopped at Krka National Park. Where we got dropped off, there was a trail to walk down and it felt as if you were walking in a rain forest. For about 20 minutes, you were surrounded by little water falls. But when you got to the end, the "rain forest" opened up and the prettiest waterfall I've ever seen was in front of us. It really looked like it was out of a magazine. Once again, we all looked at each other and said "where the hell are we." That was the quote of the weekend.


So after 24 hours on a bus, this weekend was amazing. Like I said, it was the one trip I definitely did not expect to do, and it really didn't even cross my mind until we booked it. But, I realize how lucky I am to be able to see a place like this. I would say it's one of earth's so called "hidden treasures", as cheesy as that may sound. Now, its time to commence my 21st birthday celebrations and end this abroad experience with a weekend in Munich, Germany for spring fest! Words cannot express my excitement. To think I will be home in 11 days, though? Absolutely insane and the biggest mix of emotions I've ever felt!

xo Bria

No comments:

Post a Comment